Frequently Asked Questions about Library Cards
How do I get a library card?
- If you are a Solano or Napa County resident, fill out an e-card application, then take your photo id and proof of address to the circulation desk, sign a short form and the clerk will provide you with a library card.
- If you are a California resident from outside of Solano or Napa County, fill out a one page application form, show a photo id and proof of address to the clerk at the circulation desk and you will be provided with a library card.
Who is eligible for a library card?
- Any U.S. resident is eligible for a Dixon library card.
What is a library card good for?
- Checking out books
- Checking out movies
- Checking out audiobooks
- Checking out magazines
- Checking out music cds
- Using the computers
- Accessing library databases from home
Do I need a library card to attend library programs?
- Everybody is welcome to attend all library programs and events.
How long do I get to keep library materials?
- Books from the browse collection with a 7 day sticker check out for one week.
- New DVDs and New Books on CD check out for 3 weeks and cannot be renewed.
- ILL material checkout periods vary by lending library.
- Everything else checks out for three weeks.
How many items can I check out at one time?
- Each card may have as many as 50 items checked out at one time.
What does it cost to use the library?
Use of the library is free for everybody.
The library does charge for certain things:
- $1 for a replacement library card
- 20¢ per day for late adult and young adult items
- 10¢ per day for late childrens items
- $6 maximum fine per item
- 20¢ per page for printing or copying
- The library offers fax services. Outgoing fax cost is dependant on fax number, all incoming faxes cost $1 (unlimited pages)
What do I do if I lose my card?
- In the event that your library card is lost or stolen, let the library know immediately. We will put a block on your account so no one will be able to use your card to check out items in your name.
- To replace your card bring a photo ID and $1 to the circulation desk.
How do I renew items?
Items can be renewed with your library card in the library, over the telephone or online. Note the new due date for each item. Some items may not renew due to:
- outstanding holds [requests] by other people
- item already renewed two times
- item is in the Browse collection (green slip at bottom of book cover)
- item is an Interlibrary Loan
- fines/late charges of $10 or more
- item on account is overdue by one week or more
- library card expired/about to expire.
Call the Library at 707-678-5447 for further assistance. We may be able to renew the items or can tell you why they are not renewable.
What is an e-card?
- With your e-card, you have 24/7 access to the Solano Partner Libraries and St. Helena (SPLASH) Consortium's virtual services. The e-card allows residents of Solano and Napa counties to log-in and use our electronic resources and place holds from home before receiving your physical card. If you have a library card already, you do not need an e-card.
I have an e-card. Why should I get a physical library card?
- With a physical library card you will be able to check out materials and use computers at all of the public libraries in Solano and Napa Counties.
How do I convert my e-card to a physical library card?
- Stop by the Circulation Desk and tell the clerk that you would like to convert your e-card to a physical library card. You will need to sign a form and provide an issued photo id and proof of your current address.