What is Enki?
Enki is a statewide eBook platform created by libraries for libraries. With over 60,000 eBook titles in the shared collection, Enki provides library customers with a collection of popular fiction and nonfiction genres including romance, mysteries, travel, technical, crafts, cooking and more. The Enki collection comes from smaller, independent publishers like McGraw-Hill and self-publishing companies like Smashwords.
Who can use Enki?
All SPLASH Consortium customers with current library cards can use the Enki eBook platform. If you haven’t used your library card in over three years, it may have expired. You can easily re-activate your library card by contacting your local SPLASH Consortium library.
What is the loan period for Enki eBooks?
Enki eBooks check out for 3 weeks.
How many eBooks can I check out at one time?
You can check out up to 20 eBooks at one time.
Can I place holds?
Yes. You can have up to 20 items on hold at a time. If you don’t want them yet, you can suspend your holds.
What do I need to borrow and read an Enki eBook?
1.A computer, smartphone, tablet or Kindle Fire HD. (Note: Kindle Paperwhite is not a supported device.)
2.An active Internet connection (WiFi, 3G or 4G).
3.A current Solano County Library, Benicia Public Library, Dixon Public Library or St. Helena Public Library card or eCard.
Do I need an eBook Reader App to read an Enki eBook?
If you are using a computer:
- Download Adobe Digital Editions at www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/download.html and authorize it with your Adobe ID. Follow the directions on the screen.
If you are using an older eInk eReader:
- First download the book to Adobe Digital Editions on your computer and transfer via USB
If you are using a tablet or smart phone:
- Download the Bluefire Reader app from your App Store and authorize it with your Adobe ID. If you do not have an Adobe ID, there is a link provided to create one.
If you are using Kindle Fire HD:
- Download the Bluefire Reader for Android (Kindle Fire) from the Play Store.
- Once the app is downloaded, tap the “Menu” icon at the bottom of the screen and then tap “Downloads.”
- Tap the file named “BluefireReader.apk.” When asked if you are sure you want to install the app, tap “Yes” or “Install.”
- When the installation is complete, look for Bluefire Reader in your Apps and authorize it with your Adobe ID.
How do I get an Adobe ID?
If you do not have an Adobe ID, go to accounts.adobe.com and create one.
Can I use my Overdrive App to read Enki eBooks?
Yes, but it will not have full functionality.
There are a small number of Adobe PDF Enki ebooks not compatible with OverDrive. You will also not be able to return titles early.
How do I find and check out an eBook?
- Using your Internet browser on your computer or mobile device, go to splash.enkilibrary.org and log in with your library card number and PIN.
- Find a title using the search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You can search by keyword, author, title, ISBN, or subject.
- Check out your choice by clicking on the Checkout button.
- Once you receive the message that your item is successfully checked out, close the message window.
- From within your account, click on the “Read Online” button or the “Download” button. Select the eReader App you wish to use. If you do not see it listed, tap the morebutton.
How do I get to my downloaded eBook?
Launch the reading app you are using and select the book you want to read.
Can I read an Enki eBook offline?
Yes. If you would like to have access offline, you must download the book into the reading app appropriate to your device.
Can I return eBooks early?
Yes. Log into your Enki Library Account and click on the Return Now button.